Categories
NFL News

In the wake of AJ McCarron’s season-ending injury, Josh Rosen is expected to join the Atlanta Falcons.

According to ESPN’s Jordan Schultz, the Atlanta Falcons have signed former first-round pick Josh Rosen to replace AJ McCarron and compete for the team’s open backup quarterback position.
McCarron, who joined the Falcons in April, tore his right ACL in the second quarter of Saturday’s preseason game against the Dolphins in Miami, effectively ending his season.
Falcons coach Arthur Smith stated earlier Monday that the team will work out and add a quarterback to compete with Feleipe Franks as Matt Ryan’s backup.
He was candid about the Falcons’ quarterback situation.
“That doesn’t mean that if we add someone this week, we won’t add someone else next week,” Smith added.
“We’ll keep an eye on it,” Smith said, adding that whoever they sign may play in Sunday’s preseason finale against the Cleveland Browns.
Ryan and the rest of Atlanta’s starters have yet to play in the preseason, but Smith said they’ll approach this week as if everyone is getting ready to play, then analyze the true plan at the end of the week.
It would theoretically include Rosen, but if he were to play against the Browns, he would most likely be working with a limited playbook as he needs to master the terminology and then as much as he can.
“I just believe it’s unfair to throw someone out there and say, ‘Here’s the whole game plan,’ and expect them to be able to operate,” Smith said.
“So, depending on who we sign, you know they’ll be ready to go,” said Rosen, who has played for five NFL teams since being picked 10th overall by the Arizona Cardinals in 2018.
In 13 games as a rookie in Phoenix, the former UCLA standout completed 55.2% of his passes for 2,278 yards, 11 touchdowns, and 14 interceptions.
During Rosen’s rookie season, the Cardinals fired Steve Wilks and chose Kliff Kingsbury as his replacement.
Using the No
The Cardinals selected Kyler Murray with the No. 1 overall pick in 2019 and then traded Rosen to Miami, where he started three games and completed 53.2% of his passes for 567 yards, one touchdown, and five interceptions.
Rosen was released by Miami in September 2020 after the team selected Tua Tagovailoa with the No. 1 overall pick.
He was the No. 5 overall pick in the 2020 draft, however he ended up on Tampa Bay’s practice squad.
In December, he was signed off the Buccaneers’ practice squad by San Francisco, but he never played in a game.
Trey Lance was picked No. 1 overall by the San Francisco 49ers.
Rosen was dismissed last week as the No. 3 overall pick in 2021.

Categories
NFL News

After making a comeback in the NFL as a tight end, Tim Tebow was released by the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Tim Tebow was dismissed by the Jacksonville Jaguars on Tuesday, ending his attempt to return to the NFL after an eight-year absence.
The quarterback-turned-tight end, a first-round draft pick by the Denver Broncos in 2020, thanked the Jaguars for the opportunity following the transfer.
“Thankful for the highs and lows, opportunities and setbacks,” Tebow wrote on Twitter.
“I’ve never wanted to make decisions because I’m afraid of failing, and I’m happy for the opportunity to have pursued a dream…” Grateful for the highs and lows, possibilities and disappointments.
I’ve never wanted to make decisions because I’m afraid of failing, and I’m happy for the opportunity to pursue a dream.
— Tim Tebow (@TimTebow) August 17, 2021 NFL teams must reduce their rosters to 85 players by 4 p.m. Eastern time on Tuesday, and Tebow was a longshot.
In the Jaguars’ 23-13 preseason loss to the Cleveland Browns on Saturday, he didn’t have a catch.
The 34-year-old was targeted once, but the throw was tipped at the scrimmage line.
Tebow, a Heisman Trophy winner and two-time national champion at Florida, started 14 games for the Broncos from 2010 to 2011, having an 8-6 record.
He threw for 2,422 yards on 47.9% of his passes, with 17 scores and nine interceptions, and added 989 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns.
The New York Jets acquired Tebow and a seventh-round selection pick in March 2012 in exchange for two 2021 draft picks, a fourth-rounder and a sixth-rounder.
In 2012, he was waived by the Jets after attempting eight passes and completing six of them.
Tebow was then signed by the New England Patriots and the Philadelphia Eagles, although neither team used him in a game.
Tebow turned to baseball after his football stint, signing with the New York Mets in September 2016.
With the Mets’ low-A Columbia Fireflies organization, he hit a home run in his first professional at-bat.
Tebow hit.223 with a.299 on-base percentage,.338 slugging percentage, 107 runs, 48 doubles, three triples, 18 home runs, 107 RBIs, and five stolen bases in 287 games during three minor league seasons.
In February, he announced his retirement from baseball and in May, he signed with the Jaguars to play under Urban Meyer, his college coach.
Follow along with preseason updates at skysports.com/nfl and on Twitter @SkySportsNFL.

Categories
NFL News

Aldon Smith, a defensive end for the Seattle Seahawks, has been released, according to a source.

According to ESPN, the Seattle Seahawks have released defensive end Aldon Smith.
Smith was arrested on a second-degree violence charge in April, two days after signing with the Seahawks, after allegedly choking a guy unconscious during an altercation that started inside a New Orleans coffee shop.
Smith approached the man about marital troubles the man was having with one of Smith’s relatives, according to the police report obtained by WWL-TV.
When Smith spoke with the media earlier this month, he said he couldn’t comment on the case because he had signed a one-year, $1.127 million contract with the Seahawks with $137,500 guaranteed.
Smith’s arrest in Louisiana was the latest in a series of run-ins with the law, which includes repeated DUI arrests and a domestic violence accusation.
Smith was suspended by the NFL for parts of the 2014 and 2015 seasons, as well as from 2016 through 2019, for violating the league’s personal conduct and substance abuse regulations.
Smith, 31, made his NFL comeback last season with the Dallas Cowboys, recording five sacks in 16 games, three of which came against Seattle and all of which came in the first half of the season.
Smith has 52.5 sacks in five seasons after setting an NFL record with 33.5 sacks in his first two seasons.
With veterans Carlos Dunlap, Benson Mayowa, and Kerry Hyder, as well as promising young players like Darrell Taylor, Alton Robinson, and L.J. Smith, the Seahawks have a strong edge rusher corps.
NFL Network was the first to break the news of Smith’s release.
Dan Graziano of ESPN and Brady Henderson of ESPN contributed to this article.

Categories
NFL News

Xavien Howard of the Miami Dolphins has requested a trade, saying, “I’m not satisfied.”

Xavien Howard, a top cornerback for the Miami Dolphins, has sought a trade from the organization, saying he’s “not content” in Miami, according to an Instagram post by the All-Pro player on Tuesday.
The news comes just hours after Howard reported to training camp following his absence from the Dolphins’ three-day minicamp earlier this month.
“I am only here so I don’t get penalized,” Howard wrote in his post. “We wanted things to work out with the Dolphins, and we offered alternatives to the table — like guaranteeing more money — that we felt were win-wins for both parties,” Howard added.
“There were suggestions for changes that would not only make me feel more valued, but also be cap friendly.”
Howard signed a five-year, $75.25 million agreement with the Dolphins in 2019, but he wants that deal modified after leading the NFL in interceptions last season with ten.
In March 2020, fellow cornerback Byron Jones agreed to a five-year, $82.5 million contract with $46 million guaranteed, and Howard, who outperformed him last season, believed he deserved to be the team’s highest-paid cornerback.
“The footage backs up my assertion that I’m one of the finest cornerbacks in the league,” Howard said.
“The jobs I’m given, such as shadowing the opposition’s greatest player with little assistance, demonstrate my worth, my value.”
Nevertheless, on my own team, I’m the second highest paid cornerback, and it’s not even close.” The 28-year-old veteran has 22 interceptions in 56 career games, all with the Dolphins.

Categories
NFL News

Logan Thomas, the team’s breakout tight end, has agreed to a three-year agreement with the Washington Football Club, according to a source.

A source verified that the Washington Football Club and tight end Logan Thomas have agreed to a three-year contract extension months after his breakout season.
In 2020, Thomas set a career high with 72 receptions, ranking third among tight ends.
He also had 670 receiving yards, good for seventh, and six touchdown receptions.
Thomas’ career highs were 16 catches and 173 yards prior to last season.
Thomas did well in the red zone as well.
He was tied for second among tight ends with 15 red-zone catches and led with 117 yards.
Thomas’ position coach, Pete Hoener, has dubbed him one of the top “six or seven” all-around tight ends in the game, citing his growth as a blocker.
For a quarterback who played at Virginia Tech, that’s a significant change.
He was picked in the fourth round of the 2014 NFL Draft to play quarterback for Arizona, however he only lasted one season.
Thomas switched to tight end in 2016 with the Detroit Lions after stints with the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants.
In the offseason of 2020, he joined with Washington.
Jonathan Allen, a defensive tackle for Washington, signed a four-year contract extension on Monday.
Prior to the season, the club had targeted both Allen and Thomas as players it wanted to extend.
Behind Thomas, Washington lacks proven depth.
Philadelphia chose John Bates in the fourth round and also boasts veteran Ricky Seals-Jones and former basketball star Sammis Reyes, who is attempting to become the first Chilean to play in the NFL.
Thomas’ contract extension was initially reported by NFL Network.

Categories
NFL News

Xavien Howard of the Miami Dolphins has reported to training camp, ending his holdout.

Xavien Howard, a Miami Dolphins All-Pro cornerback, reported to training camp on Tuesday, ending his contract standoff.
Howard did not attend the Dolphins’ three-day minicamp last month, raising concerns that he would not report to camp.
After leading the NFL in interceptions last season with ten, the standout cornerback signed a five-year, $75.25 million agreement in 2019 but wants it changed.
In March 2020, fellow cornerback Byron Jones agreed to a five-year, $82.5 million contract with $46 million guaranteed, and Howard, who outperformed him last season, believed he deserved to be the team’s highest-paid cornerback.
The Dolphins released a video of Howard’s arrival on Tuesday, so the stalemate appears to be over.
In 56 career games with the Dolphins, the 28-year-old veteran has 22 interceptions.

Categories
NFL News

According to sources, the Cincinnati Bengals have extended defensive end Sam Hubbard’s contract.

CINCINNATI — According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Cincinnati Bengals and defensive end Sam Hubbard have come to terms on a contract extension.
According to reports, the Bengals inked the 2018 third-round selection to a four-year deal worth up to $40 million.
Hubbard was approaching the end of his rookie deal.
The Bengals’ top pass-rusher has matured into a former Ohio State player.
Hubbard has played in 44 games in three seasons, including the last two as a starter.
In 2020, he has two of his 16.5 career sacks.
As an edge rusher last season, he recorded a 15.9% pass rush victory rate (ESPN metric powered by NFL Next Gen).
Hubbard is the Bengals’ second significant offseason investment on the defensive line’s edge.
The Bengals signed former New Orleans Saints defensive end Trey Hendrickson to a four-year, $60 million contract in free agency.
Last season, Cincinnati had the fewest sacks in the NFL.