Categories
NFL News

Cole Beasley, Gabriel Davis, and Star Lotulelei of the Buffalo Bills have been placed in quarantine after being considered close contacts.

NEW YORK’S BUFFALO
— Wide receivers Cole Beasley and Gabriel Davis of the Buffalo Bills will miss the next five days of practice after being identified as close contacts of a team trainer who tested positive for COVID-19, according to a league source.
According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, defensive tackle Star Lotulelei is also under quarantine.
After testing negative for the virus on Tuesday morning, all three players are required to skip practice per to the NFL’s COVID-19 policy.
According to Schefter, the trainer is completely vaccinated.
The news of Beasley and Davis being quarantined was first reported by the New York Daily News.
The NFL’s policy, which severely restricts unvaccinated athletes while allowing vaccinated players to return to near-normalcy, drew criticism from Beasley in June, when he tweeted that he was not vaccinated and would “enjoy my one life like I want.”
If they are close contacts with someone who tests positive for COVID-19, unvaccinated players must stay away from the team for five days; vaccinated players do not have to quarantine if they are close contacts with someone who tests positive for COVID-19.
Unvaccinated players are needed to be checked everyday under the policy controlling preseason and training camp, whereas vaccinated players are only required to be tested every two weeks, according to Beasley.
“It’s self-evident that if a vaxxed or unvaxxed athlete is tested less frequently, the chances of being removed for COVID diminish drastically,” Beasley said.
“In terms of player safety, I’ll just say that we all want to be safe,” Beasley said. Beasley was the Bills’ second-leading receiver in 2020, with 967 yards on 82 catches, both career highs.
During his rookie season last year, Davis had the second-most receiving touchdowns on the team with seven.

Categories
NFL News

In the wake of AJ McCarron’s season-ending injury, Josh Rosen is expected to join the Atlanta Falcons.

According to ESPN’s Jordan Schultz, the Atlanta Falcons have signed former first-round pick Josh Rosen to replace AJ McCarron and compete for the team’s open backup quarterback position.
McCarron, who joined the Falcons in April, tore his right ACL in the second quarter of Saturday’s preseason game against the Dolphins in Miami, effectively ending his season.
Falcons coach Arthur Smith stated earlier Monday that the team will work out and add a quarterback to compete with Feleipe Franks as Matt Ryan’s backup.
He was candid about the Falcons’ quarterback situation.
“That doesn’t mean that if we add someone this week, we won’t add someone else next week,” Smith added.
“We’ll keep an eye on it,” Smith said, adding that whoever they sign may play in Sunday’s preseason finale against the Cleveland Browns.
Ryan and the rest of Atlanta’s starters have yet to play in the preseason, but Smith said they’ll approach this week as if everyone is getting ready to play, then analyze the true plan at the end of the week.
It would theoretically include Rosen, but if he were to play against the Browns, he would most likely be working with a limited playbook as he needs to master the terminology and then as much as he can.
“I just believe it’s unfair to throw someone out there and say, ‘Here’s the whole game plan,’ and expect them to be able to operate,” Smith said.
“So, depending on who we sign, you know they’ll be ready to go,” said Rosen, who has played for five NFL teams since being picked 10th overall by the Arizona Cardinals in 2018.
In 13 games as a rookie in Phoenix, the former UCLA standout completed 55.2% of his passes for 2,278 yards, 11 touchdowns, and 14 interceptions.
During Rosen’s rookie season, the Cardinals fired Steve Wilks and chose Kliff Kingsbury as his replacement.
Using the No
The Cardinals selected Kyler Murray with the No. 1 overall pick in 2019 and then traded Rosen to Miami, where he started three games and completed 53.2% of his passes for 567 yards, one touchdown, and five interceptions.
Rosen was released by Miami in September 2020 after the team selected Tua Tagovailoa with the No. 1 overall pick.
He was the No. 5 overall pick in the 2020 draft, however he ended up on Tampa Bay’s practice squad.
In December, he was signed off the Buccaneers’ practice squad by San Francisco, but he never played in a game.
Trey Lance was picked No. 1 overall by the San Francisco 49ers.
Rosen was dismissed last week as the No. 3 overall pick in 2021.

Categories
NFL News

According to an AP source, the Jaguars have traded LB Joe Schobert to the Steelers as part of their rebuilding efforts.

MARK LONG, AP Pro Football Writer JACKSONVILLE, Fla. AP National Sports JACKSONVILLE, Fla.
The Jacksonville Jaguars and the Pittsburgh Steelers have agreed to trade linebacker Joe Schobert, according to a source familiar with the situation.
Because neither side had publicly signed the contract, the person talked to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity Thursday night.
Schobert did confirm the trade to ESPN, saying “wonderful location to play behind that D-line.”
Both teams benefit from the move, and Schobert returns to the AFC North.
Cleveland was his home for the first four years of his NFL career.

Categories
NFL News

Aldon Smith, a defensive end for the Seattle Seahawks, has been released, according to a source.

According to ESPN, the Seattle Seahawks have released defensive end Aldon Smith.
Smith was arrested on a second-degree violence charge in April, two days after signing with the Seahawks, after allegedly choking a guy unconscious during an altercation that started inside a New Orleans coffee shop.
Smith approached the man about marital troubles the man was having with one of Smith’s relatives, according to the police report obtained by WWL-TV.
When Smith spoke with the media earlier this month, he said he couldn’t comment on the case because he had signed a one-year, $1.127 million contract with the Seahawks with $137,500 guaranteed.
Smith’s arrest in Louisiana was the latest in a series of run-ins with the law, which includes repeated DUI arrests and a domestic violence accusation.
Smith was suspended by the NFL for parts of the 2014 and 2015 seasons, as well as from 2016 through 2019, for violating the league’s personal conduct and substance abuse regulations.
Smith, 31, made his NFL comeback last season with the Dallas Cowboys, recording five sacks in 16 games, three of which came against Seattle and all of which came in the first half of the season.
Smith has 52.5 sacks in five seasons after setting an NFL record with 33.5 sacks in his first two seasons.
With veterans Carlos Dunlap, Benson Mayowa, and Kerry Hyder, as well as promising young players like Darrell Taylor, Alton Robinson, and L.J. Smith, the Seahawks have a strong edge rusher corps.
NFL Network was the first to break the news of Smith’s release.
Dan Graziano of ESPN and Brady Henderson of ESPN contributed to this article.

Categories
NFL News

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif of the Kansas City Chiefs is out for four weeks due to a broken hand.

MOUNT JOSEPH
— A source told ESPN on Tuesday that Kansas City Chiefs guard Laurent Duvernay-Tardif will be out for around four weeks due to a broken bone in his hand.
Duvernay-Tardif will not require surgery, and the Chiefs are hopeful that he will be ready to play against the Cleveland Browns in Week 1 of the regular season.
12, according to the source.
The news of Duvernay-Tardif’s injury was first reported by NFL Network.
At training camp, Duvernay-Tardif was the second-team right guard behind rookie Trey Smith, a sixth-round draft pick.
Doctor Duvernay-Tardif skipped last season to assist COVID-19 patients while working as an orderly at a nursing home in his hometown of Montreal.
Duvernay-Tardif started 57 regular-season games and six playoff games for the Chiefs in the preceding five seasons.
In the Chiefs’ Super Bowl LIV victory over the San Francisco 49ers, he started at right guard.
The Chiefs started training camp with no other candidate for the starting right guard position.
Kyle Long has yet to practice with the team during training camp after suffering a knee injury while working out during the offseason.

Categories
NFL News

On Friday, Panthers quarterback Sam Darnold will be fully immunized against COVID-19.

SPARTANBURG, S.C. is a city in the state of South Carolina.
– A league source told ESPN.com that Carolina Panthers quarterback Sam Darnold will be considered completely immunized for COVID-19 as of Friday.
Darnold caused a stir on social media in early June when he admitted to reporters on a Zoom call that he hadn’t been vaccinated.
Several questioned his leadership, especially given the limits placed on non-vaccinated players.
Darnold has since maintained it’s a personal decision and has refused to say if he’s been vaccinated or not.
Darnold, according to the source, has had both doses and will be 14 days away from the second on Friday, making him fully vaccinated.
On Tuesday, as players reported at Wofford College for training camp, Darnold said, “It’s everyone’s option whether they want to be vaccinated or not.”
NFL Training Camp in 2021 The NFL season is rapidly approaching.
The most pressing questions coming into training camp, as well as roster forecasts for all 32 teams, are listed below.
Read more >> * Whole 2021 schedule | Depth charts >> * Trades | Injuries | More NFL >> Darnold’s absence of a mask during a group interview on Tuesday without social distancing was an sign he had been vaccinated.
He was, however, sporting a pink bracelet, which signifies that a player has not been properly immunized.
According to a league source, the Panthers are among the league leaders in terms of immunization rates, with at least an 85 percent rate.
Because of all the processes the NFL has in place for unvaccinated players, coach Matt Rhule has stated repeatedly that being vaccinated will provide clubs a competitive advantage.
It was amplified when the league announced that teams unable to play regular-season games due to a COVID-19 epidemic sparked by an unvaccinated player would be forced to forfeit and that neither team would be compensated.
Rhule declined to comment on Darnold’s decision, but expressed satisfaction with the Panthers’ vaccination rate.
“The coronavirus, the Delta variant, and all those things are going to be an issue, even though we’re so well-vaccinated,” Rhule added.
“It’ll be a year-long problem for us to cope with.”
“Everyone has made their decisions, some are still making decisions, and others are in various stages of the process.”
We must continue to be astute.
It will continue to have an impact on us in various ways because it is affecting the entire planet.”

Categories
NFL News

Only because of NFL protocols did Titans quarterback Ryan Tannehill receive the COVID-19 vaccine.

Ryan Tannehill, the quarterback for the Tennessee Titans, stated on Wednesday that he would not have taken the COVID-19 vaccine if it hadn’t been for the NFL’s standards.
“If you look around, nearly everyone has been immunized or is getting ready to be vaccinated,” Tannehill said after the team’s practice.
“I’m in the middle of it right now.”
The NFL has stated their intentions clearly.
If you don’t follow the protocol, they’ll strive to make your life as difficult as possible.
“Without the protocols that they are putting on us, I wouldn’t have gotten the vaccine.”
I believe it is a personal choice for each of us.
They’re trying to force our hands, and the protocols have succeeded in forcing a lot of hands.
As of Wednesday, 86.9% of players had received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccination, according to a source at The Athletic.
According to the source, 18 clubs in the NFL have a vaccination rate of 90 percent or greater, while three teams have a rate of less than 70 percent.
According to a memo from commissioner Roger Goodell last week, NFL teams with a COVID-19 outbreak will be compelled to forfeit their games if they cannot be rescheduled within the existing 18-week schedule.
The forfeiting team will be given a loss, which will have an impact on playoff seedings.
Tannehill joins a growing list of NFL players who have spoken out about the vaccine and the league’s new vaccination regulations.
Deandre Hopkins of the Cardinals said in a now-deleted tweet that being forced to injure his team because he refused to get the vaccine made him question his NFL future, while Buccaneers running back Leonard Fournette simply said that he would not get the vaccine.

Categories
NFL News

Logan Thomas, the team’s breakout tight end, has agreed to a three-year agreement with the Washington Football Club, according to a source.

A source verified that the Washington Football Club and tight end Logan Thomas have agreed to a three-year contract extension months after his breakout season.
In 2020, Thomas set a career high with 72 receptions, ranking third among tight ends.
He also had 670 receiving yards, good for seventh, and six touchdown receptions.
Thomas’ career highs were 16 catches and 173 yards prior to last season.
Thomas did well in the red zone as well.
He was tied for second among tight ends with 15 red-zone catches and led with 117 yards.
Thomas’ position coach, Pete Hoener, has dubbed him one of the top “six or seven” all-around tight ends in the game, citing his growth as a blocker.
For a quarterback who played at Virginia Tech, that’s a significant change.
He was picked in the fourth round of the 2014 NFL Draft to play quarterback for Arizona, however he only lasted one season.
Thomas switched to tight end in 2016 with the Detroit Lions after stints with the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants.
In the offseason of 2020, he joined with Washington.
Jonathan Allen, a defensive tackle for Washington, signed a four-year contract extension on Monday.
Prior to the season, the club had targeted both Allen and Thomas as players it wanted to extend.
Behind Thomas, Washington lacks proven depth.
Philadelphia chose John Bates in the fourth round and also boasts veteran Ricky Seals-Jones and former basketball star Sammis Reyes, who is attempting to become the first Chilean to play in the NFL.
Thomas’ contract extension was initially reported by NFL Network.

Categories
NFL News

According to a source, Chris Hogan has reached an agreement with the New Orleans Saints.

METAIRIE, LA METAIRIE, LA METAIRIE, LA
— Veteran wide receiver Chris Hogan will return to the NFL after moonlighting as a lacrosse player this summer, hoping to help the New Orleans Saints make up for the loss of injured star Michael Thomas.
A source told ESPN’s Mike Reiss that Hogan, 33, agreed to a deal with the Saints on Monday, confirming an NFL Network report.
Thomas was officially placed on the physically unable to play list on Monday, as expected, to begin training camp.
Following ankle surgery in June, he is anticipated to lose time at the start of the regular season.
After the Saints dismissed veteran Emmanuel Sanders this offseason, Hogan (6-foot-1, 210 pounds) will compete for a roster spot among Saints receivers Tre’Quan Smith, Deonte Harris, Marquez Callaway, and others in a position group that is light on proven quality.
Throughout a nine-year career that included stops with the Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers, and New York Jets, Hogan won two Super Bowls with the New England Patriots.
But, after appearing in just 12 games with the Panthers and Jets in 2019 and 2020 due to injuries, he briefly considered switching jobs and playing in the Premier Lacrosse League this offseason before being enticed back by the Saints.
Hogan was a standout lacrosse player at Penn State before transferring to Monmouth to play football for a year before joining the NFL as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2012.
During his tenure in the PLL, he was relatively inactive, starting with the Cannons before being traded to the Whipsnakes.
Hogan, now back in the NFL, provides variety to the table in addition to his experience.
During the regular season, he lined up roughly equally in the slot and out wide, catching 216 catches for 2,795 yards and 18 touchdowns.
In the playoffs, he has 34 catches for 542 yards and four touchdowns.

Categories
NFL News

Deshaun Watson is reporting to the Texans’ camp and is still looking for a trade, according to a source.

Deshaun Watson, the Houston Texans’ quarterback, will report to training camp on Sunday, but a source told The Athletic that he still wants a trade.
Watson will escape a fine of $50,000 every day if he reports.
As the Texans prepare to begin training in the coming days, he will begin COVID-19 testing.
Watson, 25, is the subject of 22 civil lawsuits alleging sexual assault and misconduct.
He has refuted all charges through his counsel.
According to a response to an open records request, the NFL is investigating Watson for a possible violation of its personal conduct policy, and the Houston Police Department is investigating at least two criminal complaints against him.
Watson asked the Texans for a trade before the first lawsuits were filed in March.